Microscopes for Bee ID work

I've been asked about what disecting microscope of good quality I use and would reccomend for Bee identification work. 


Pictured is my current setup for my bees.  I have had and my AmScope for over 4 years and I love it. This one is the current version of mine (I think).

 I lalso need and like having a reticle eyepiece for measuring lngth x width features while studying bees and I use mine all the time! Here is the measuring reticle eyepiece for the scope linked above.

I like Amscope's widefield optics and this one linked above now comes with an LED ring light which is good sometimes for bees. Other times when I need directional or "raking" light to look at pits in the integument or very fine hairs I use a flexible led light from Ikea. The JANSJÖ adjustable lamp with a base I got for about $10 four years ago is no longer available (looming at the top in the photo), but the new JANSJÖs are good too, but they are usb powered. I just got 3 of them and a NORDMÄRKE usb charger that can power all three at once. I put a small rock on the base to keep it steady when it's holding the three lights. They are small and flixible abd easy to aim all at one bee for good side light! They are on a powerstrip so I just use the switch on that to turn them on and off. That't what is in this photo which shows the white/cork-rimmed base for the charger with the 3 lamps all close to the specimen under the scope.

You don't necessarily need and expensive scope and lights. These are very modest solutions for home bee ID. 

Comments